(I’m going to be documenting what I do throughout the year as VP, with the goal that, by the end of the year, this will be a useful manual for next year’s officer. That means this page is unfinished and will keep changing. -AY)
You have some. See the LITA Officers’ todo list.
You may get additional deadlines from the following sources:
- The orientation letter from the LITA Executive Director
- The ALA Appointments Committee
- The LITA Appointments Committee, per your plan for its work
- Any other committees or task forces you’re involved with
There are a lot of things to consider reading as they provide useful context for LITA and ALA. Rereading may be useful as many of these are long and dry, and it may take a while for them to stick. That said, it’s understandable if you don’t necessarily get through them all — this is a lot to read!
- LITA Bylaws
- In theory the LITA Manual has lots of information on how things operate, but in practice much of it is out of date, and it’s proved surprisingly resistant to updates.
- ALA Operating Agreement — surprisingly useful
- ALA Financial Learning Series
- LITA history
You and your glorious Appointments Committee appoint LITA committees; LITA representatives to other bodies; and members of some ALA committees. This is the most important and time-consuming thing you are likely to do as VP.
There’s enough info on this topic that it has its own page: Appointments
- ASAE meeting
- Several dates and locations throughout the year
- Arrange with LITA ED; you’ll be attending together
- ALA meetings
- October President-Elect Orientation in Chicago
- Dealing with your email
- You will get a lot of email. You need a strategy for ensuring that you notice all your VP emails. For instance: set up gmail filters to filter all your mailing lists into a LITA Board folder, and also tag all incoming non-mailing-list LITA emails (there will be several per day).
- You should be on the following mailing lists (you can confirm your subscriptions at http://lists.ala.org/sympa/):
- ala-appt (ALA Appointments Committee)
- divpres (Division Presidents)
- lita-appointments (LITA Appointments Committee)
- lita-fac (LITA Financial Advisory Committee)
- litaboar (LITA Board)
- lita-l (LITA-L, which hopefully you were already on anyway)
- You are not automatically on the ALA Council list, but its archives are public through http://lists.ala.org/sympa/, so you can read it if you like.
- LITA maintains social media and other communications channels that you should be aware of, even if you are not active on that particular platform:
- The first two are maintained by the Web Coordinating Committee and the Communications Committee; the third by the LITA blog editor, overseen by WCC. The newsletter is maintained by the staff, and you should be on it automatically as a member. The journal is maintained by the ITAL editorial board and the Publications committee. LITA Guides are maintained by the Publications Committee and Acquisitions Editor.