- Learn a bit about Roberts Rules of Order — not that you need to be a parliamentarian, but it helps to understand the flow of the meeting.
- If documents are sent out before meetings, read them. Your fellow board members will appreciate it.
- Don’t worry if you feel you don’t have a great deal to contribute on one particular issue; other issues will draw you in. At the same time, if you have an opinion or contribution, make it.
- But do remember that you (most likely)have excellent committee experience and may have a lot of knowledge about that area – share it!
- Remember that LITA Board is looking broadly, strategically, and towards the future.
- Have fun and be social with your fellow LITAns as much as you can.
Filtering your Connect email
You can have Connect discussions emailed to you, and then filter them to the same place as your Board email. This will make it much easier to read documents before meetings, per above.
To activate Connect email notifications, if needed:
- Go to the “[Yourname]’s Account” dropdown in the upper right corner of Connect
- Make sure you have checked the `LITA Board of Directors` line
Your favorite email program can then filter on subject lines that contain ‘[ALA Connect] LITA Board of Directors’.