Nominating Committee – December 2018 Report


The group met 7-10 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Nominations sent out the first recruitment form to invite people to nominate themselves or other LITA members. This brought to the attention of the committee several LITA members interested in running for office in addition to standard methods of identification. The committee began contacting nominees for council, VP, and Directors at large positions with the intent of submitting in January a slate to the LITA Board for the 2019 elections.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Finalizing the slate to be presented to the Board at ALA Midwinter

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
We should have started recruitment earlier than we did, that’s due to challenges of availability for the CHair

Submitted by Abigail Goben on 01/28/2019

Forum Planning Committee – December 2018 Report


The group met 0 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
We are in a holding pattern pending Board discussion at ALA Midwinter 2019.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
We are in a holding pattern pending Board discussion at ALA Midwinter 2019.

Submitted by Jake Ineichen on 01/26/2019

LITA / Ex Libris Student Writing Award Committee – December 2018 Report


The group met 0 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
We are organizing our first conference call for after Midwinter. The group’s work is primarily in winter/early spring.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Awarding the award.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
none

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
n/a

Additional comments or concerns:
n/a

Submitted by Lisa Hinchliffe on 01/23/2019

Top Technology Trends Committee – December 2018 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
We worked to diversify our panel by inviting one additional panelist.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

Second Activity
We contacted all panelists with an invitation to participate. We wrangled data about each panelist as well as had a meeting between moderator and panelists in order to determine panel format and content flow.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
We will put out another call for panelists to the Top Tech Trends panel at ALA Annual. We will also be exploring various ways to invite a more diverse group of nominees.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Suggestions of ways to invite more diverse candidates to the pool

Submitted by Tammy Wolf on 01/23/2019

Appointments Committee – December 2018 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
In the past several months we have made 10 committee appointments, and appointed 2 chairs and 2 vice-chairs for the upcoming term. Many of the committee appointments were for either leftover openings from the previous year or replacement members (we heard from several committee chairs about nonresponsive/inactive members, and I contacted those people to offer an out). Starting a few weeks ago (i.e. end of 2018) we have been asking people to do 2019-21 terms (and start early if they’re willing) rather than do 2018-20 terms. At our Midwinter meeting I expect us to pivot from doing fill-in appointments and organizing volunteers to getting the regular slate for 2019-21 settled, and we have a fairly solid spreadsheet documenting the requirements going forward.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
I sent out several reminders (listserv/Twitter) about volunteering for committees, including a tip for helping the committee assign you to the one you’re most interested in (if possible).
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Making the bulk of the appointments for the next term and documenting our process to leave things in a clear state for next year.

Additional comments or concerns:
I’d like to consult with the Nominating Cte at Midwinter to make sure we have a clear (or at least consistent!) message about the potential merger as we reach out to members.

Submitted by Emily Morton-Owens on 01/20/2019

LITA / Hi Tech Award Committee – December 2018 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Met to discuss what to do about the lack of nominations for the award. Our goal was to have multiple solid nominations so that the committee has an actual decision to make. We determined to (1) increase the reminders about the announcement, (2) reach out to individuals who were involved enough in the community to make thoughtful nominations, and (3) extend the deadline until mid-January, so it’s not lost in the holidays.
We then decided to meet next in mid-January to determine how to proceed, on the assumption that we would have received some solid nominations.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
We will make explicit factors that we will consider in selecting an award recipient. We will also leave some record of our process, so that future committees will have a little more of a documented process and more explicit framework for selecting a recipient.

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
We have given Jenny some suggestions for things to be included in next year’s announcement, based on questions from nominators and committee members.

Additional comments or concerns:
My main concern has been how to provide some sense of continuity for subsequent years. The other concern is that a Dec. 31 close of nominations seems pre-ordained to come into conflict with the holidays and other end-of-year activities. So it would be good to consider changing that, or perhaps better to raise that up-front with next year’s committee and let then decide how to deal with the timing.

Submitted by Tod Olson on 01/19/2019

LITA Blog Subcommittee – December 2018 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
The blog group recently underwent some changes to ensure that we are continuing to support the content and work of the blog. We finalized the list of active writers, developed a presence in ALA Connect and we are planing our writing calendar and a review of the style guide.

We are collaborating with the LITA CAM committee to develop some cross-content based on the LITA chat series and profile authors on the blog.

We also had interest from a new co-editor, and we are in the process of determining how that role will allow one of the existing co-editors to rotate off the group and keep the momentum going.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Please see above.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
No, it’s been great

Submitted by Cinthya Ippoliti on 01/19/2019

LITA / Christian Larew Memorial Scholarship Committee – December 2018 Report


The group met 0 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
The Larew scholarship work begins slightly after Midwinter and goes through the spring. I’ll be reaching out to the committee members next week to confirm their participation.

Thanks!
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
The main scope of work for the committee takes place in the next period. We’ll be reading applications, ranking them according to our rubric, and choosing the best candidates to award the scholarship.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Not really. I’ll be documenting our timeline really closely, to provide the next set of committee members one possible way of approaching the work.

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
N/a

Additional comments or concerns:
None at this time. 🙂

Submitted by Topher Lawton on 01/18/2019

Assessment and Research Committee – December 2018 Report


The group met 0 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
No action since last report.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
An assessment of member expectations of the LITA/LLAMA/ALCTS merger, and a data dashboard of job postings.

Submitted by Kyle Denlinger on 01/15/2019

Financial Advisory Committee – December 2018 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
We reviewed the recommendations from the Financial Working Group regarding the possible combination of ALCTS/LITA/LLAMA.

Jenny mentioned the merger could increase out capacity to better serve our LITA community. The merger could help the members of the three divisions come together the way we do in our libraries.
It was noted by a couple of committee members that they would like to see the in-person conference for the new division be held in a different year than PLA.

Jenny explained the basics of how budgeting for LITA works including revenue, expenses, the endowment, and overhead paid to ALA. Webinars and courses are a revenue stream that can make a significant difference.

We decided to meet on an as-needed basis instead of planning meetings far in advance. We need to meet early in January to review the draft budget before ALA Midwinter. We will meet during the All Committees Meeting at Midwinter. We will need to meet again in late February or early March to review the budget before it goes to the ALA Budget Analysis & Review Committee (BARC).
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
We voted on a proposal for outsourcing webinar and course logistics to eLearning Solutions.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
The draft budget will be available mid-February for our review. The Board will probably hold a virtual meeting in March, so FAC will have time to review and discuss it before it is submitted to the Board.

Submitted by Brian Rennick on 01/14/2019