Forum Planning Committee – September 2019 Report


The group met 4-6 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Sponsorship Subcommittee and past chair of Forum Committee met with current chair on June 7, 2019 to discuss:
* What to expect in terns of a timeline
* Sponsorship process and opportunities to get more sponsors with a joint forum
* Leads for Sponsors and the entire committee is encouraged to participate by sharing personal contacts of potential sponsors/leads
* Action items for a prospectus and sponsorship tacking spreadsheet
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
Small portion of the Forum Planning Committee met during ALA Annual on June 22, 2019 to discuss high-level ideas about themes and keynote speakers, in addition to growing the committee to fill gaps in subcommittees.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Third Activity
Forum Committee met on July 30, 2019 to discuss:
* Updates to the RFP
* Forum Site Splash Page
* SubCommittee Charges
* Using the Slack Channel for brainstorming of ideas
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Fourth Activity
UX/Sustainability subcommittee met with Chair to discuss charge on September 12th.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Fifth Activity
Forum Committee met on September 19, 2019 to discuss:
* Updates to 2020 Forum Location and Dates (in contract negotiations)
* LITA Forum Slash page
* New Members added to the Committee
* Brainstorm as a committee on Purpose/Theme of Joint Forum (in selection process currently)
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Main focus will be on:
* LITA Forum website – adjusted the language to reflect a joint forum, adding dates and location (once contract is set)
* Call for Proposals with selecting them
* Sponsorships
* Communication Plan – Fill out a CAM request form so that the word/buzz for Forum is spread about happening in November 2020, so that people have ample time to ask for budgeting to attend.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Before Mark left he mentioned that branding for LITA Forum was happening with an ALA graphic designer for the website (SEE minutes from July meeting). What became of that? The splash page that was started by the WCC still has LITA branding and doesn’t take in account a joint Forum. The Web/PR subgroup of Forum Committee will need to adjust the LITA Forum splash page to reflect that but need permissions to the WP site for those committee members, as well as the chair.

As chair, I would like to have a one-on-one meeting with LITA office (copying Emily) on some internal deadlines to suggest to ensure the committee is meeting its planning milestones and in a timely manner.

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
Last year’s Forum wrap-up discussed mentoring speakers in order for them to give better session talks that are interactive/hands-on, and engaging, especially since most Forum speakers are new presenters. It would be great if the committee can partner with Dorthea Salo to lead an encore Forum-tailored speaker webinar (with the help from a sponsor) to bring it free to speakers whose talks/sessions are accepted. She currently has a Keynote talk in November that appears helpful (http://www.ala.org/lita/you-can-keynote). Also, Jill Binder recently gave a Drupal Diversity Speaker Webinar the last two weekends that have similar material that would be of interest: diversein.tech/drupal-sept2019 while the call for proposals for DrupalCon 2020 are still happening.

Additional comments or concerns:
Currently having a hard time reaching veteran members of the sponsorship subcommittee who are on the Forum Committee this year. Their leadership and ideas are needed to make sponsorship happen at a larger scale with ALCTS and LLAMA this year. They haven’t responded to any of my direct follow up emails in the past 2 months and as chair, I’m concerned.

Submitted by Berika Williams on 09/30/2019

Imagineering Interest Group – September 2019 Report

Recent Activities

First Activity
Discussed with group on desired authors for ALA Annual 2020 panel
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Second Activity
Worked with Anthony at Tor to begin determining which authors could be invited to be on the panel
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Continue putting together the panel

Submitted by Dena Heilik on 09/27/2019

Web Coordinating Committee – September 2019 Report


The group met 4-6 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Our main task over the summer was onboarding new members. The WCC received several new members in July and so I worked to make sure everyone had received the Drupal training and had access to everything they needed (for example, LITA's Google Drive).
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
We made some progress on the new LITA Jobs site. Once the decision was made to use a web form to collect payment information, the WCC made a number of adjustments to the site so users would know how to submit payment once the site goes live.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Third Activity
The WCC continued to maintain LITA's WordPress sites and apply updates as needed.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
The WCC is going to continue work on the LITA Docs site. We are ultimately hoping to have the project completed some time in the Spring. For now, we have formed a new sub-committee to work on the project and will continue to build on the work we did earlier this year.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
For the most part, the Web Coordinating Committee had everything we needed.

Submitted by Michael Paulmeno on 09/27/2019

Women in Information Technology Interest Group – September 2019 Report

Recent Activities

First Activity
Melissa and I (co-chairs) have been in discussion about releasing a survey to the discussion group. The survey would help guide the direction of the interest group. We would like to send the survey out to membership in October or November.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
We will be working on the survey and then analyzing the results.

Submitted by Sharon Whitfield and Melissa Hofmann on 09/25/2019

Communications and Marketing Committee – September 2019 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Introduction to CAM processes for the many incoming members. Currently working through on-boarding processes (having new members review documentation/processes, completing shadow shifts, and feeling comfortable to start posting on our social media accounts).
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
Began working on a social media platform evaluation of future potential platforms for LITA to utilize.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Finalizing the platform evaluation, creating recommendations. Finalizing on-boarding of the committee. Refreshing outdated documentation and suggested best practices that are used/necessary to the committee's work.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Given the time of transition for CAM, I don't think there is anything else we needed.

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
N/A

Submitted by Cameron Cook on 09/24/2019

ITAL Editorial Board – September 2019 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Reviewed, selected, and edited articles for the journal. Published the September issue of the journal — see https://ejournals.bc.edu/index.php/ital/issue/view/1055 (a post for the LITA Blog has been submitted, but not yet published).
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

Second Activity
Appointed new Editorial Board members, organized and conducted a new member orientation session that included how to use the journal's publishing platform, and trained new members on procedures.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Third Activity
The board reviewed and revised the Editor's job description, and submitted it (via Tabby Farney) to the LITA Board for approval.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Fourth Activity
Continued planning for making the JOLA/ITAL back-file (those issues that were published commercially but are not yet available through the ITAL web site) available.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Continuing to work on making the JOLA/ITAL back-file available.

Submitted by Ken Varnum on 09/17/2019

Education Committee – September 2018 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
The committee met and approved several new webinars for our Spring lineup and we are working with Mark to get these going:

1. Techniques in managing library services platform implementation
2. Guiding digital natives through digital citizenship
3. Universal parity to resources
4. In-house digitization vs outsourced digitization
5. Diversity in libraries: creating an interdisciplinary space
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
The committee is also looking at documentation, guidelines for presenters, and assessment of webinars as part of our work for the Spring semester.

Submitted by Cinthya Ippoliti on 01/07/2019

LITA Blog Subcommittee – September 2018 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
The blog group underwent a significant re-organization in terms of membership over the course of 2018. We onboarded several new writers, developed a posting schedule and provided training for the group.

We are now turning our attention towards developing an editorial calendar (following the LITA CAM committee calendar) and determining how we want to go about continuing to develop original content as well as ensuring that as new writers transition on and off the blog we maintain a high quality level of output.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Please see above.

Submitted by Cinthya Ippoliti on 11/09/2018

Financial Advisory Committee – September 2018 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
LITA FAC met during ALA Annual to discuss the potential merger with LLAMA and ALCTS. We became acquainted with ITAL costs and how the journal operation is different from the journals produced by LLAMA and ALCTS. We also agreed that two price levels of advertising would work for the LITA job board. We proposed scheduling a regular meeting time but later decided it would be better to meet whenever financial documents were ready for review.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
Margaret Heller and Brian Rennick represented LITA FAC on the Joint Finance Group which produced several documents in support of the merger.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
We will meet early in January to review the draft budget before ALA Midwinter. We will meet during the All Committees Meeting at Midwinter. We will need to meet again in late February or early March to review the budget before it goes to the ALA Budget Analysis & Review Committee (BARC).

Submitted by Brian Rennick on 11/07/2018

Top Technology Trends Committee – September 2018 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Introductions – people on committee, Connect space, list email, Google doc area, etc.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Second Activity
Select Vice Chair
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Third Activity
Discussion about wording and details of call for panelists.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Fourth Activity
Discussion about reaching out and inviting panelists from diverse backgrounds
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Fifth Activity
Review of past trends
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Reviewing and selecting panelists. Organizing event. Publicizing event.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Using Connect was an improvement from the last LITA committee I chaired. It really helped me to stay organized to have all the information in one place.

Submitted by Tammy Wolf on 11/07/2018