Diversity and Inclusion Committee – December 2020 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Buddy Program emailing has been passed on to another member for facilitation. We currently do not have any volunteers yet but we will try to send another call.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Second Activity
Collaboration with LITA Research and Assessment Committee re job descriptions. We have a document in progress that will lead to some slide re: good job descriptions and a checklist for writing inclusive announcements.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Information Policy, Education and Professional Development

Third Activity
Standardizing LITA Calls for Proposal. Indefinite due date. We have another shared document with notes, examples of past calls for proposal and criteria for selection. We will produce a checklist.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
The standardizing for calls for proposal. Emerging plans for the combined LLAMA, ALCTS, LITA division. Bystander training.

Submitted by Jharina Pascual on 01/13/2020

LITA Committee Recognizing Excellence in Children’s and Young Adult Science Fiction – December 2020 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Final list selections completed for the three Notables Lists
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

Second Activity
Annotations written for the lists
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Third Activity
So much reading!
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Reaching out to publishers to make sure contact are still correct, orienting new committee members, beginning 2020 pub year reading and evaluation, update website with 2020 lists and place them in Cognotes during Midwinter.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
It would be great if we had a replacement for Mark Beatty so we had someone to bounce ideas and questions off of without having to bother Jenny all the time.

Additional comments or concerns:
Because we are on a different timeline than the rest of LITA committees (Feb – Jan), often our processes fall through the cracks (committee appointments process especially)

Submitted by Dena Heilik on 01/09/2020

Assessment and Research Committee – December 2020 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Continuing work on our presentation for Midwinter focusing on the 2015-2019 LITA job board postings. Emailed with Diversity & Inclusion Committee chair regarding same.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Finishing up job postings and developing new projects.

Submitted by Laura Costello on 01/09/2020

Membership Development Committee – December 2020 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
During this period how MDC and CAM will cooperate on future LITAchat events was clarified, whether the committee should target information regarding the proposed CORE division was discussed, and the task of relaunching this initiative within the committee was taken by the Vice Chair.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Second Activity
Planning for a shared networking opportunity at Midwinter, the "happy hour," between LITA, ACRL and LLAMA is almost concluded. This has been led by the chair with significant aid by our newest member, Pauline Stacchini.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

Third Activity
The chair and vice chair attended a joint committee meeting led by Chrishelle Thomas focused on two initiatives, a marketing campaign focused on members' "LITA Journey" and efforts to boost LITA's "content pipeline."
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Our minimal goals are: 1) finalize contract with site for Midwinter happy hour, 2) begin scouting sites for Annual's happy hour, 3) relaunch LITAchat; and 4) begin internal discussions regarding the next leadership transition and identifying a potential next vice chair.

Submitted by Leland Deeds on 01/07/2020

Hugh C. Atkinson Memorial Award Committee – December 2020 Report


The group met 0 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
The committee put out the call for nominations for the Hugh C. Atkinson Memorial Award in October, with reminder emails in November and December. The committee consists of representatives from LITA (myself; I am also chair this year), ALCTS, LLAMA, and ACRL.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

Second Activity
Following the nominations deadline of December 6, 2019, our ALA liaison recommended that we extend the deadline to January 9, 2020. The committee agreed to extend the deadline and re-posted the call for nominations with the new deadline.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
We will send a final call for nominations the first week of January. The committee will convene virtually in January to make a decision about the selection of the award winner, no later than ALA Midwinter. If a winner is selected, the committee will craft an announcement. The award will be presented at the LITA awards ceremony at ALA Annual.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Additional word-of-mouth regarding the call for nominations, as well as any submission of nominations themselves.

Please describe anything you need to bring to the LITA Board for discussion or action at their next meeting:

Submitted by Holly Tomren on 01/03/2020

Instructional Technologies Interest Group – December 2020 Report

Recent Activities

First Activity
Brainstorming other ways to be involved and collaborate with groups for IGs who do not have an ALA program at Annual. then contacted IG rep for some clarification on best ways to do this within the new structure of LITA (or across divisions if applicable).
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Reviewing any suggestions for applicable to IGs (non-committees/sponsored programs).

Submitted by Lilly Ramin on 01/01/2020

Electronic Resources Management Interest Group (LITA / ALCTS) – December 2019 Report

Recent Activities

First Activity
We did not hold programs or other activities in fall 2019. We are not participating in ALA Midwinter 2020. We anticipate holding a panel session as usual at ALA Annual 2020.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
We will be thinking about potential topics and speakers for a panel session at ALA Annual 2020.

Submitted by Michael Rodriguez on 12/29/2019

ITAL Editorial Board – December 2019 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Published the December issue of the journal
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

Second Activity
Drafted and nearly finalized a policy to make it clear that article authors may put a copy of their article in a local repository or elsewhere (they maintain copyright, so this is fully in their rights), but requesting that a note be added to such copies asking that the ITAL version be the one cited.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Third Activity
Worked with Jenny Levine and HathiTrust to change status of back issues of ITAL to open access in HathiTrust to enable reading of full text of articles there. Previously, digitized issues of ITAL were "search only", not available for reading.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Finalizing the policy, working on the March issue, and minor updates to the template used to generate the PDFs for publication.

Additional comments or concerns:
I'm beginning to think about the post-Core plans and processes for ITAL, especially migrating the journal to the TDL platform used by Library Leadership & Management. I noticed that Library Leadership & Management runs version 2.X of the software, while ITAL is on version 3.X. I suspect a downgrade would be a challenge, as the recent upgrade from OJS 2 to 3 conducted by Boston College was not a straightforward one.

Submitted by Ken Varnum on 12/20/2019

Forum Planning Committee – December 2019 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
11/4/19 Meeting (Entire Forum Planning Committee):
* Finalized Theme
* Discussed Planning Timeline
* Discussed general ideas for Forum
* Discussed using the 2020 Forum Slack Channel for ideas for invited keynote speakers ideas/leads (Please note, there's a possibility, we will open up both the opening and closing keynote speakers as an option in the forthcoming call for proposals, due to few leads generated from the committee)
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
12/4/19 Web/PR Subcommittee (via email)
* Worked on language for the 'Save the Date' Communication about 2020 Forum
*Requested Forum site access for Web/PR Subcommittee members
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Third Activity
12/6/19 Sponsorship Subcommittee, 12-1pm Central
* Finalized prospectus for potential sponsors: https://forum.lita.org/sponsors/prospectus/
* Developed a list of potential sponsors to reach out to
* Discussed a communications plan for reaching up and following up with sponsors
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Fourth Activity
12/10/19 Programming Subcommittee, 12-1pm Central
* Reviewed LITA Forum Assessment Task Force Report from 2017 for Track ideas that could also be of interest to ALCTS/LLAMA
*Discussed Proposed Tracks
*Discussed Theme and Additional Ideas to tie to Call for Proposal Language
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

Fifth Activity
Scheduled SubCommittee Meetings for January and February:
* Web/PR Subcommittee – Jan 15, 1-2pm Central
*UX/Sustainability Subcommittee -Feb 5, 2-3 Central
*Accessibility/Streaming Subcommittee – Feb 12, 1-2 Central
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Priorities:
*Reaching out to potential sponsors (Forum Planning – Sponsorship subcommittee)
*Work on Call for Proposals (Forum Planning – Programming subcommittee) (incl. sessions, possibly keynotes, preconferences) and opening it up sometimes in January
*Confirming Opening and Closing Keynote Speakers and preconferences
*Call for local Baltimore LITA/ALCTS/LLAMA members to join new local arrangements subcommittee

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
N/A — Am grateful and appreciative of Jenny's and Chrishelle's support, feedback and patience. Makes the experience of planning Forum so much easier!

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
*Would like to connect with Carli Spina on providing a webinar for accepted speakers on 'Making their Presentations/Talks Accessible'. Depending on sponsorship response, hoping it will enable support for this webinar to be free and compensating Carli for the time and effort.
*Would like to develop a free pre-recorded 'Git for Presenters' talk as a value-added talk for LITA/ALCTS/LLAMA members and accepted speakers. Depending on sponsorship response, hoping it will support the costs of getting previous LITA eLearning Git instructors to do this to allow it to be free to members/speakers.
*Would like to ask current D&I chair for a partnership to provide Allyship training at Forum (2 Forum Planning committee members attended the train the trainer session, and I believe 1 D&I committee member)
*Would also like to partner with D&I and ask for permission to use Drupal's diversity speaker webinar by developing a pre-recorded webinar and adapting to Forum during the call for proposals period. I attended the train-the-trainers session for this, as well. I can spearhead this effort w/o any additional cost…just need to ask permission first. Example of Drupal Diversity speaker content: http://diversein.tech/drupal-sept2019

Additional comments or concerns:
I have suggestions for documenting a generic timeline for the next Joint-Forum (in whatever form that may be) based on lessons learned this year. There needs to be a partnership with this year's Appointment Committee to ensure next Forum Planning Committee has a leadership team consisting of leaders from each Forum Planning subgroup, as well as an overall chair, but I feel at this point, I'm delicately balancing not losing any additional members to ask current members so late in the term. So, I'm managing the best I can. Would like to work with Evviva and Appointments Committee on identifying a Chair-Elect for next joint-Forum Planning committee term to groom/prepare.

Submitted by Berika Williams on 12/18/2019