Membership Development Committee – September 2019 Report


The group met 0 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Separate phone meetings were held with the past-chair and Vice Chair for planning purposes. Current committee membership were messaged requesting a response to a Doodle poll for establishing a consistent monthly meeting date/time. Committee working documents were updated. The committee's first zoom meeting will be in October. LITA staff were contacted to confirm our committee's "happy hour budget" for the year, and an initial list of locations has been suggested for Philadelphia.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Second Activity
After follow up with LITA staff and the past chair I will be reaching out to the new leadership of CAM to gauge the level of involvement they desire for moderating LITAchat in the upcoming year.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
The MDC's immediate work will be: (1) planning for happy hour in Philadelphia, (2) establishing a topics roster for the 2019-2020 LITAchat series, and (3) confirming if and planning the 101 Open House recording for Midwinter.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
It would have been nice to receive a confirmed committee roster and budget for the year.

Submitted by Leland Deeds on 10/03/2019

Instructional Technologies Interest Group – September 2019 Report

Recent Activities

First Activity
Coordinated speaker content, included LITA info shared by rep, marketed session on social media, and facilitated a a session at ALA Annual https://www.eventscribe.com/2019/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=496275
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

Second Activity
Reviewed feedback from LITA and provided comments. Posted pictures and thread of tweet with people who used comment or hashtag for program in ALA Connect Community site for Instructional Technologies IG :
https://connect.ala.org/lita/communities/community-home?communitykey=1b472812-3dbf-46b1-bc91-e0bfe96c6bff&tab=groupdetails
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Third Activity
posted welcome message to Chrishelle Thomas (LITA's new Membership and Marketing Manager). Excited to have an opportunity to seek marketing help with fellow IGs.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Last two years I did a program with this interest group instead of a business meeting. I decided not submit a program this year. Started discussions with frequent collaborator on other ideas (meetups, meetings, etc)

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Thank you for asking. I did have some feedback relating to the program session.

Marketing on social media and web pages ? At least retweets from speakers who are promoting their LITA sessions on their own? (Example: Bree, Bobbi and I did this for our session)

Although our session was LITA sponsored we were not included in either the Interest Group Discussion Sessions for ALA Annual 2019 http://www.ala.org/lita/conferences/annual/2019/igsessions

or General ALA LITA highlights pages:
http://www.ala.org/lita/lita-highlights-2019-ala-annual-conference

The session was on a Monday at the same time as George Takai but we still had a pretty great turn out.

Maybe some extra pre conference tips for IGs/presenters (like what technology you have to bring for session/who to contact for technology issues/role of LITA IG person at session) and people working with IGs/presenters (sending communication early enough for presentation edits) might be helpful.

All that said, I am grateful we had this opportunity and session accepted by ALA and LITA.

Additional comments or concerns:
Thank you, especially Jenny Levine, for support.

Submitted by Lilly Ramin on 10/01/2019

Program Planning Committee – September 2019 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
The working list of email distribution and discussion lists was updated and revised to facilitate posting of the LITA Call for Program Proposals for Annual 2020. Members of the committee posted the call to many of the email and discussion lists to help spread the word during the month of August.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
Committee meeting was held online August 26 via Zoom. Mark Beatty informed the committee of his impending retirement and briefed us on the process for reviewing program and pre-conference proposals. Next steps were discussed and John Hernandez asked members to continue to post the call for proposals. See minutes at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U0T4SN0dweNQA0S4ZCtWze-CyaQeRFlt1XllqJ2eUUY/edit?usp=sharing
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Review of program proposals received.
Updating documentation for future committee work.

Submitted by John Hernandez on 10/01/2019

Assessment and Research Committee – September 2019 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
We have been working on updating the LITA Jobs dataset so that we can analyze it for a presentation at Midwinter. Chair also met with Jharina Pascual (Chair of LITA Diversity & Inclusion Committee) to start the conversation around collaborations for the same presentation.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
We're going to continue working on the jobs dataset until we have enough data to analyze, then start putting together our collaborative presentation with the Diversity & Inclusion Committee for Midwinter.

Submitted by Laura Costello on 10/01/2019

Publications Committee – September 2019 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
A sub-committee was formed to develop recommendations for work the Publications committee should work on this year, including subjects, resources, and finding potential authors for books and journal articles. The timeline is to have recommendations for an October meeting and ideas will be assigned to other committee members at that time.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Following-up on recommendations from the sub-committee described above.
Documenting responsibilities and goals of the committee.
Deciding on and documenting editorial practices and policies.
Deciding what, if anything, the committee will do about PR, including calls for proposals for monographs and publicizing new journal issues/articles.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Better communication between this committee and the LITA staff would be welcome. We’ve been told by LITA staff that we are responsible for promoting publications when promotions does not appear to be in the committee charge and the job description revision for the ITAL editor was not brought to the committee for consideration despite this appearing to be a committee responsibility in the LITA Manual.

Submitted by Julie Housknecht on 09/30/2019

Publications Committee – September 2019 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
A sub-committee was formed to develop recommendations for work the Publications committee should work on this year, including subjects, resources, and finding potential authors for books and journal articles. The timeline is to have recommendations for an October meeting and ideas will be assigned to other committee members at that time.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Following-up on recommendations from the sub-committee described above.
Documenting responsibilities and goals of the committee.
Deciding on and documenting editorial practices and policies.
Deciding what, if anything, the committee will do about PR, including calls for proposals for monographs and publicizing new journal issues/articles.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Better communication between this committee and the LITA staff would be welcome. We’ve been told by LITA staff that we are responsible for promoting publications when promotions does not appear to be in the committee charge and the job description revision for the ITAL editor was not brought to the committee for consideration despite this appearing to be a committee responsibility in the LITA Manual.

Submitted by Julie Housknecht on 09/30/2019

Forum Planning Committee – September 2019 Report


The group met 4-6 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Sponsorship Subcommittee and past chair of Forum Committee met with current chair on June 7, 2019 to discuss:
* What to expect in terns of a timeline
* Sponsorship process and opportunities to get more sponsors with a joint forum
* Leads for Sponsors and the entire committee is encouraged to participate by sharing personal contacts of potential sponsors/leads
* Action items for a prospectus and sponsorship tacking spreadsheet
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
Small portion of the Forum Planning Committee met during ALA Annual on June 22, 2019 to discuss high-level ideas about themes and keynote speakers, in addition to growing the committee to fill gaps in subcommittees.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Third Activity
Forum Committee met on July 30, 2019 to discuss:
* Updates to the RFP
* Forum Site Splash Page
* SubCommittee Charges
* Using the Slack Channel for brainstorming of ideas
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Fourth Activity
UX/Sustainability subcommittee met with Chair to discuss charge on September 12th.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Fifth Activity
Forum Committee met on September 19, 2019 to discuss:
* Updates to 2020 Forum Location and Dates (in contract negotiations)
* LITA Forum Slash page
* New Members added to the Committee
* Brainstorm as a committee on Purpose/Theme of Joint Forum (in selection process currently)
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Main focus will be on:
* LITA Forum website – adjusted the language to reflect a joint forum, adding dates and location (once contract is set)
* Call for Proposals with selecting them
* Sponsorships
* Communication Plan – Fill out a CAM request form so that the word/buzz for Forum is spread about happening in November 2020, so that people have ample time to ask for budgeting to attend.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Before Mark left he mentioned that branding for LITA Forum was happening with an ALA graphic designer for the website (SEE minutes from July meeting). What became of that? The splash page that was started by the WCC still has LITA branding and doesn’t take in account a joint Forum. The Web/PR subgroup of Forum Committee will need to adjust the LITA Forum splash page to reflect that but need permissions to the WP site for those committee members, as well as the chair.

As chair, I would like to have a one-on-one meeting with LITA office (copying Emily) on some internal deadlines to suggest to ensure the committee is meeting its planning milestones and in a timely manner.

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
Last year’s Forum wrap-up discussed mentoring speakers in order for them to give better session talks that are interactive/hands-on, and engaging, especially since most Forum speakers are new presenters. It would be great if the committee can partner with Dorthea Salo to lead an encore Forum-tailored speaker webinar (with the help from a sponsor) to bring it free to speakers whose talks/sessions are accepted. She currently has a Keynote talk in November that appears helpful (http://www.ala.org/lita/you-can-keynote). Also, Jill Binder recently gave a Drupal Diversity Speaker Webinar the last two weekends that have similar material that would be of interest: diversein.tech/drupal-sept2019 while the call for proposals for DrupalCon 2020 are still happening.

Additional comments or concerns:
Currently having a hard time reaching veteran members of the sponsorship subcommittee who are on the Forum Committee this year. Their leadership and ideas are needed to make sponsorship happen at a larger scale with ALCTS and LLAMA this year. They haven’t responded to any of my direct follow up emails in the past 2 months and as chair, I’m concerned.

Submitted by Berika Williams on 09/30/2019

Maker Technology Interest Group – February 2019 Report

Recent Activities

First Activity
Since our last report we have held our meeting at ALA's Annual Conference in Washington DC. There we talked about Makerspace technology that participants were interested in learning about, programs that have worked for us using these technologies.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

Second Activity
We held our elections for co-chair and secretary
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Third Activity
Since then our small committee has talked about the idea of holding the meetings at Makerspaces and ways to address the website.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

Fourth Activity
We added new people to the Maker Tech listserv.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Changes to the website and the possibility of holding our meeting in Philadelphia at a Makerspace.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Information on whether or not we are allowed to hold our meeting outside of a conference room.

Submitted by Erik Carlson on 09/28/2019

Imagineering Interest Group – September 2019 Report

Recent Activities

First Activity
Discussed with group on desired authors for ALA Annual 2020 panel
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Second Activity
Worked with Anthony at Tor to begin determining which authors could be invited to be on the panel
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Continue putting together the panel

Submitted by Dena Heilik on 09/27/2019

Women in Information Technology Interest Group – September 2019 Report

Recent Activities

First Activity
Melissa and I (co-chairs) have been in discussion about releasing a survey to the discussion group. The survey would help guide the direction of the interest group. We would like to send the survey out to membership in October or November.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
We will be working on the survey and then analyzing the results.

Submitted by Sharon Whitfield and Melissa Hofmann on 09/25/2019