Membership Development Committee – December 2020 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
During this period how MDC and CAM will cooperate on future LITAchat events was clarified, whether the committee should target information regarding the proposed CORE division was discussed, and the task of relaunching this initiative within the committee was taken by the Vice Chair.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Second Activity
Planning for a shared networking opportunity at Midwinter, the "happy hour," between LITA, ACRL and LLAMA is almost concluded. This has been led by the chair with significant aid by our newest member, Pauline Stacchini.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

Third Activity
The chair and vice chair attended a joint committee meeting led by Chrishelle Thomas focused on two initiatives, a marketing campaign focused on members' "LITA Journey" and efforts to boost LITA's "content pipeline."
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Our minimal goals are: 1) finalize contract with site for Midwinter happy hour, 2) begin scouting sites for Annual's happy hour, 3) relaunch LITAchat; and 4) begin internal discussions regarding the next leadership transition and identifying a potential next vice chair.

Submitted by Leland Deeds on 01/07/2020

Communications and Marketing Committee – December 2020 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Working with Chrishelle to update and improve our Twitter engagement.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Second Activity
Working with Chrishelle on some member engagement projects for Spring 2020 – such as helping supply questions and responses for new member discussions.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Third Activity
Revise and update CAM documentation.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
We will be working with Chrishelle on identified projects to improve member engagement as well as focusing on improving our social media engagement.

Submitted by Cameron Cook on 01/03/2020

Instructional Technologies Interest Group – December 2020 Report

Recent Activities

First Activity
Brainstorming other ways to be involved and collaborate with groups for IGs who do not have an ALA program at Annual. then contacted IG rep for some clarification on best ways to do this within the new structure of LITA (or across divisions if applicable).
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Reviewing any suggestions for applicable to IGs (non-committees/sponsored programs).

Submitted by Lilly Ramin on 01/01/2020

LITA / Library Hi Tech Award Committee – December 2019 Report


The group met 0 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Sent call for nominations to lita-l and other email lists.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Second Activity
Chair contacted committee members to provide timeline and solicit input into process
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
We will review nominations after the revised deadline of 1/17 and forward our recommended candidate to our board representative by March 1.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Yes. I received no communication after agreeing to chair the group until late October and no guidance on how to proceed until I asked. It would be helpful for new chairs who are also new to a particular committee to receive an orientation early on.

Submitted by Janet Crum on 12/23/2019

ITAL Editorial Board – December 2019 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Published the December issue of the journal
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

Second Activity
Drafted and nearly finalized a policy to make it clear that article authors may put a copy of their article in a local repository or elsewhere (they maintain copyright, so this is fully in their rights), but requesting that a note be added to such copies asking that the ITAL version be the one cited.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Third Activity
Worked with Jenny Levine and HathiTrust to change status of back issues of ITAL to open access in HathiTrust to enable reading of full text of articles there. Previously, digitized issues of ITAL were "search only", not available for reading.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Finalizing the policy, working on the March issue, and minor updates to the template used to generate the PDFs for publication.

Additional comments or concerns:
I'm beginning to think about the post-Core plans and processes for ITAL, especially migrating the journal to the TDL platform used by Library Leadership & Management. I noticed that Library Leadership & Management runs version 2.X of the software, while ITAL is on version 3.X. I suspect a downgrade would be a challenge, as the recent upgrade from OJS 2 to 3 conducted by Boston College was not a straightforward one.

Submitted by Ken Varnum on 12/20/2019

Forum Planning Committee – December 2019 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
11/4/19 Meeting (Entire Forum Planning Committee):
* Finalized Theme
* Discussed Planning Timeline
* Discussed general ideas for Forum
* Discussed using the 2020 Forum Slack Channel for ideas for invited keynote speakers ideas/leads (Please note, there's a possibility, we will open up both the opening and closing keynote speakers as an option in the forthcoming call for proposals, due to few leads generated from the committee)
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
12/4/19 Web/PR Subcommittee (via email)
* Worked on language for the 'Save the Date' Communication about 2020 Forum
*Requested Forum site access for Web/PR Subcommittee members
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Third Activity
12/6/19 Sponsorship Subcommittee, 12-1pm Central
* Finalized prospectus for potential sponsors: https://forum.lita.org/sponsors/prospectus/
* Developed a list of potential sponsors to reach out to
* Discussed a communications plan for reaching up and following up with sponsors
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Fourth Activity
12/10/19 Programming Subcommittee, 12-1pm Central
* Reviewed LITA Forum Assessment Task Force Report from 2017 for Track ideas that could also be of interest to ALCTS/LLAMA
*Discussed Proposed Tracks
*Discussed Theme and Additional Ideas to tie to Call for Proposal Language
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

Fifth Activity
Scheduled SubCommittee Meetings for January and February:
* Web/PR Subcommittee – Jan 15, 1-2pm Central
*UX/Sustainability Subcommittee -Feb 5, 2-3 Central
*Accessibility/Streaming Subcommittee – Feb 12, 1-2 Central
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Priorities:
*Reaching out to potential sponsors (Forum Planning – Sponsorship subcommittee)
*Work on Call for Proposals (Forum Planning – Programming subcommittee) (incl. sessions, possibly keynotes, preconferences) and opening it up sometimes in January
*Confirming Opening and Closing Keynote Speakers and preconferences
*Call for local Baltimore LITA/ALCTS/LLAMA members to join new local arrangements subcommittee

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
N/A — Am grateful and appreciative of Jenny's and Chrishelle's support, feedback and patience. Makes the experience of planning Forum so much easier!

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
*Would like to connect with Carli Spina on providing a webinar for accepted speakers on 'Making their Presentations/Talks Accessible'. Depending on sponsorship response, hoping it will enable support for this webinar to be free and compensating Carli for the time and effort.
*Would like to develop a free pre-recorded 'Git for Presenters' talk as a value-added talk for LITA/ALCTS/LLAMA members and accepted speakers. Depending on sponsorship response, hoping it will support the costs of getting previous LITA eLearning Git instructors to do this to allow it to be free to members/speakers.
*Would like to ask current D&I chair for a partnership to provide Allyship training at Forum (2 Forum Planning committee members attended the train the trainer session, and I believe 1 D&I committee member)
*Would also like to partner with D&I and ask for permission to use Drupal's diversity speaker webinar by developing a pre-recorded webinar and adapting to Forum during the call for proposals period. I attended the train-the-trainers session for this, as well. I can spearhead this effort w/o any additional cost…just need to ask permission first. Example of Drupal Diversity speaker content: http://diversein.tech/drupal-sept2019

Additional comments or concerns:
I have suggestions for documenting a generic timeline for the next Joint-Forum (in whatever form that may be) based on lessons learned this year. There needs to be a partnership with this year's Appointment Committee to ensure next Forum Planning Committee has a leadership team consisting of leaders from each Forum Planning subgroup, as well as an overall chair, but I feel at this point, I'm delicately balancing not losing any additional members to ask current members so late in the term. So, I'm managing the best I can. Would like to work with Evviva and Appointments Committee on identifying a Chair-Elect for next joint-Forum Planning committee term to groom/prepare.

Submitted by Berika Williams on 12/18/2019

Membership Development Committee – September 2019 Report


The group met 0 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Separate phone meetings were held with the past-chair and Vice Chair for planning purposes. Current committee membership were messaged requesting a response to a Doodle poll for establishing a consistent monthly meeting date/time. Committee working documents were updated. The committee's first zoom meeting will be in October. LITA staff were contacted to confirm our committee's "happy hour budget" for the year, and an initial list of locations has been suggested for Philadelphia.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Second Activity
After follow up with LITA staff and the past chair I will be reaching out to the new leadership of CAM to gauge the level of involvement they desire for moderating LITAchat in the upcoming year.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
The MDC's immediate work will be: (1) planning for happy hour in Philadelphia, (2) establishing a topics roster for the 2019-2020 LITAchat series, and (3) confirming if and planning the 101 Open House recording for Midwinter.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
It would have been nice to receive a confirmed committee roster and budget for the year.

Submitted by Leland Deeds on 10/03/2019

Instructional Technologies Interest Group – September 2019 Report

Recent Activities

First Activity
Coordinated speaker content, included LITA info shared by rep, marketed session on social media, and facilitated a a session at ALA Annual https://www.eventscribe.com/2019/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=496275
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

Second Activity
Reviewed feedback from LITA and provided comments. Posted pictures and thread of tweet with people who used comment or hashtag for program in ALA Connect Community site for Instructional Technologies IG :
https://connect.ala.org/lita/communities/community-home?communitykey=1b472812-3dbf-46b1-bc91-e0bfe96c6bff&tab=groupdetails
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Third Activity
posted welcome message to Chrishelle Thomas (LITA's new Membership and Marketing Manager). Excited to have an opportunity to seek marketing help with fellow IGs.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Last two years I did a program with this interest group instead of a business meeting. I decided not submit a program this year. Started discussions with frequent collaborator on other ideas (meetups, meetings, etc)

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Thank you for asking. I did have some feedback relating to the program session.

Marketing on social media and web pages ? At least retweets from speakers who are promoting their LITA sessions on their own? (Example: Bree, Bobbi and I did this for our session)

Although our session was LITA sponsored we were not included in either the Interest Group Discussion Sessions for ALA Annual 2019 http://www.ala.org/lita/conferences/annual/2019/igsessions

or General ALA LITA highlights pages:
http://www.ala.org/lita/lita-highlights-2019-ala-annual-conference

The session was on a Monday at the same time as George Takai but we still had a pretty great turn out.

Maybe some extra pre conference tips for IGs/presenters (like what technology you have to bring for session/who to contact for technology issues/role of LITA IG person at session) and people working with IGs/presenters (sending communication early enough for presentation edits) might be helpful.

All that said, I am grateful we had this opportunity and session accepted by ALA and LITA.

Additional comments or concerns:
Thank you, especially Jenny Levine, for support.

Submitted by Lilly Ramin on 10/01/2019

Program Planning Committee – September 2019 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
The working list of email distribution and discussion lists was updated and revised to facilitate posting of the LITA Call for Program Proposals for Annual 2020. Members of the committee posted the call to many of the email and discussion lists to help spread the word during the month of August.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
Committee meeting was held online August 26 via Zoom. Mark Beatty informed the committee of his impending retirement and briefed us on the process for reviewing program and pre-conference proposals. Next steps were discussed and John Hernandez asked members to continue to post the call for proposals. See minutes at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U0T4SN0dweNQA0S4ZCtWze-CyaQeRFlt1XllqJ2eUUY/edit?usp=sharing
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Review of program proposals received.
Updating documentation for future committee work.

Submitted by John Hernandez on 10/01/2019

Assessment and Research Committee – September 2019 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
We have been working on updating the LITA Jobs dataset so that we can analyze it for a presentation at Midwinter. Chair also met with Jharina Pascual (Chair of LITA Diversity & Inclusion Committee) to start the conversation around collaborations for the same presentation.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
We're going to continue working on the jobs dataset until we have enough data to analyze, then start putting together our collaborative presentation with the Diversity & Inclusion Committee for Midwinter.

Submitted by Laura Costello on 10/01/2019