Fundraising Committee – September 2018 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
As a brand-new committee, we had our kickoff meeting on October 23. We brainstormed goals this committee could have, which we will be finalizing soon-ish. Possibilities include:

* self-education (only one of us has significant development experience)
* lists – calendar events, sponsors, contacts, sponsorship opportunities
* generating communication materials Jenny can easily use, especially visual ones for social media
* strategy
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Obviously we can’t implement all the things we brainstormed, so our next goal is narrowing our focus and selecting top priorities for the year. Our choices there will guide our next steps.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
We’re good so far! I think it’s likely we’ll want to meet with ALA’s development director at some point so we may want help setting that up.

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
I expect we will be developing primarily tools for internal use, supporting content or activities produced by others. We may at some point run some kind of fundraising campaign, but we are not really a content-generating entity.

Additional comments or concerns:
n/a

Submitted by Andromeda Yelton on 10/26/2018

Assessment and Research Committee – September 2018 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Group has identified a first major project, a survey of LITA membership attitudes and expectations of the possible merger with LLAMA and ALCTS; the survey group, headed by Laura Costello, will begin work immediately. Laura will be working with Topher Lawton to identify expectations of the merger assessment
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
Group has decided on a second project, a dashboard for exploring trends in data from the LITA Jobs website; the jobs dashboard group, led by Kyle Denlinger, will work with Mark Beatty to get current and historical job site data and begin building dashboard.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Survey of LITA membership re: merger attitudes and expectations; dynamic dashboard of LITA jobs site data

Submitted by Kyle Denlinger on 10/23/2018

Instructional Technologies Interest Group – September 2018 Report

Recent Activities

First Activity
I gathered signatures for the LITAITIG 3 year renewal form from those reaching out with interest in LITAITIG, and attendees at the LITA All-Committees meeting. I emailed the form.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
Since the May report two sessions were planned and presented for Annual. For promotion, I posted info for both on the listserv, ALA connect and twitter. The first was a a business meeting/discussion. Chair (Lilly Ramin) created an agenda/ Minutes were taken and posted by Greg Hardin (Secretary)

Business meeting minutes: Minutes from June meeting were posted to ALA Connect LITAITIG community
https://connect.ala.org/lita/communities/community-home?CommunityKey=1b472812-3dbf-46b1-bc91-e0bfe96c6bff
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

Third Activity
Since the May report two sessions were planned and presented for Annual. The second was a presentation. LITAITIG Partnered with LITA Publication Committee Richard Guajardo, to introduce the LITA Guide Breanne Kirsch who highlighted 3 tools from her publication based on a format prepared by LITAITIG Chair (Lilly Ramin). Discussion and introduction to tools and LITA Instructional Technologies was lead by Chair, Lilly Ramin. The presentation was well attended — especially for a Monday slot! (pics here: https://bit.ly/2ysM8qf)
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

Fourth Activity
I submitted a program for Instructional Technologies tool share, and LITA privacy guide discussion. Notifications will be sent November 1st.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
If the proposal l gets accepted, I will notify the speakers and we will take it from there!

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
While we surpassed the minimum requirement for renewals this year, they can be tricky since ALA members may not be LITA members at time of IG renewal. Perhaps IGs (and committees if they wish) can be listed on the ALA membership renewal form as options– even if free. Some divisions do this. Just a suggestion : )

Promotion of our LITA event on social media and blog would have been awesome.

Additional comments or concerns:
HUGE thanks to Mark Beatty for his guidance during this review period of activities! 🙂

Submitted by Lilly Ramin on 10/22/2018

Diversity and Inclusion Committee – September 2018 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
ALA Annual 2019 Edit-a-thon/resource list [copied from minutes]:
-About 13-15 people attended. Challenge was that the room was pretty large/overwhelming for such a small group.
-Melissa Stoner had participants have a general conversation about what D&I looks like for them, their institution’s hiring practices, if they have a person assigned to do outreach for recruitment of librarians of color, etc.
-Resources that were added to our list are possibly going to go up on a Resource list on the website.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Second Activity
ALA Annual 2019 Conference Buddy Program:
-Taken over by Jharina Pascual from outgoing member Carli Spina
-2 LITA members volunteered to mentor 2 applicants
-We will send out the call again in ALA MW 2019
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Third Activity
ALA Annual 2019 Program Proposal:
– LITA’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee will solicit and host three fifteen-minute presentations on topics of choice around diversity, equity, inclusion, or anti-racism and anti-oppressive frameworks
– Jennifer Brown mocked up and submitted a proposal to ALA
– LITA members will provide a list of possible listservs and organizations to spread the word
– LITA D&I Team will have to strategize in the long-term regarding issues of helping to fund individual presenters
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Advocacy and Information Policy

Fourth Activity
We renewed the D & I Committee and approved our current charge with the LITA Bylaws and Organization Committee.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
We will primarily be working on spreading the word about our ALA Annual proposal (if we are accepted).

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
The chairs are having some trouble using ALA Connect to communicate with committee members. It will take some more time to adjust. Jharina Pascual thinks it would be helpful to remind people that they can send messages to ALA Connect using an email address and that they don't have to log into their ALA account.

Submitted by Jharina Pascual on 10/20/2018

Instructional Technologies Interest Group – September 2018 Report

Recent Activities

First Activity
Since May, ALA Annual activities were completed:
Interest Group renewal form — Lilly gathered signatures for the LITAITIG 3 year renewal form from those reaching out with interest in LITAITIG, and attendees at the LITA All-Committees meeting. Form has been emailed to the LITA representatives.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
ALA LITA All Committees meeting
Lilly Ramin created and emailed the agenda, held meeting at LITA All-Committees meeting slot and Greg Hardin (Secretary) posted the minutes to Minutes from June meeting were posted to ALA Connect LITAITIG community
(URL: https://connect.ala.org/lita/communities/community-home?CommunityKey=1b472812-3dbf-46b1-bc91-e0bfe96c6bff )
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Third Activity
Submitted a program. Mark Beatty was very helpful in suggesting a partnership with Breanne and Publications Commitee. Partnered with LITA Publication Committee Richard Guajardo, to introduce the LITA Guide, Breanne Kirsch highlight 3 tools from her publication. Discussion and introduction to tools and LITA Instructional Technologies was lead by Chair, Lilly Ramin.

(About session: https://www.eventscribe.com/2018/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=380643)

Images/post in ALA LITA Instructional Technologies IG community

(Post bitly url : https://bit.ly/2q1C2Id)
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Fourth Activity
I (Lilly) submitted a proposal by the deadline for ALA 2019, this time focusing on tech a privacy. I reached out to a speaker and Bree will join in to help moderate the tech tools discussion. We will hear back on November 1st. Pictures here: (Post bitly url : https://bit.ly/2q1C2Id)
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
If the proposal is accepted, there will be discussion on this.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
For membership renewals, I wonder LITA can send a call on the general listserv if an IG wants to be listed? Some ALA member supporters are ineligible to sign the petition because they haven’t yet signed up for LITA at time of renewal. As seen with other divisions, it would be helpful to have the IGs listed as people renew their general ALA membership. Just ideas 🙂

Additional comments or concerns:
Special thanks Mark and Jenny for their guidance so far!

Submitted by Lilly Ramin on 10/18/2018

Membership Development Committee – September 2018 Report


The group met 2-3 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
LITAchat planning –
planning for continuation of LITAchat on Twitter events was done with two LITAchats being planned.
October 26 LITAchat will be discussing LITA Forum 2018 with a member of CAM moderating the chat, and members of the LITA Forum Planning committee discussing what to look forward to.
November 30 LITAchat will be inviting 3 participants to share and discuss an interesting project they're currently working on.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Member Engagement

Second Activity
Member Engagement opportunity at LITA Forum 2018 –
A member of MDC is reaching out to LITA Forum Planning folks to conduct a Post-It note feedback survey regarding LITA membership experience for assessment.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Third Activity
LITA Happy Hour planning –
discussions and planning commencing regarding LITA Happy Hour at Midwinter Seattle. A few venues have already been identified with member of MDC located in Seattle to make contact with venues for planning.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

Fourth Activity
Conference Kickoff Planning –
discussion and planning on the conference kickoff/LITA Open House has begun for Midwinter Seattle. MDC has decided to make a recorded presentation discussing LITA's offerings at Midwinter and of being a LITA member as doing more virtual asynchronous engagement work is becoming more and more important. Depending on how the activity goes, a hybrid live/recorded kickoff event may take place at Annual 2019.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Fifth Activity
LITA Tactical Plan –
Work is continuing slowly in regards to tasks on LITA's Tactical plan designated for Membership Development. To make some of the work and desired outcomes clearer and more succinct, a cleanup process of our Trello workboard has commenced to make action items more discernible and moving items that are more appropriate in Connect or Google Docs to those spaces.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Education and Professional Development, Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Continuation of event planning at Midwinter and LITA Forum, continuation of LITAchat events for January, February, and March, continuation of work on tactical plan tasks. Beginning discussions and planning for ALA Annual events.

Submitted by Robert Wilson on 10/12/2018

Bylaws and Organization Committee – September 2018 Report


The group met 0 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
The Committee is working on the remaining interest group renewals and committee reviews for 2018.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
We will be meeting soon to finish up the 2018 renewals and reviews; some of this work may be completed via Connect as well. We will also begin 2019 renewals and reviews in January.

Submitted by Jodie Gambill on 10/12/2018

Communications and Marketing Committee – September 2018 Report


The group met 1 time this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
The LITA Communications & Marketing Committee migrated our documentation and training materials to the new ALA Connect site to centralize the committee's documentation and to give members a one-stop resource for everything CAM related.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Second Activity
The Communications & Marketing committee worked closely with Jenny Levine, LITA Executive Director, to migrate the committee's promotion request form from Jotform.com to Lita.org, giving the form more legitimacy and better branding it as an organizational tool. The form was then shared with LITA's leadership via an ALA Connect post.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

Third Activity
The Communications & Marketing Committee collaborated with the Membership Development Committee to plan a #LITAchat in October to promote the upcoming LITA Forum on Twitter. The live chat will give LITA members an opportunity to learn more and ask questions about the 2019 LITA Forum.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Member Engagement

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
The Communications & Marketing Committee will continue to post to LITA's social media channels to promote events, workshops, courses, and other news of interest to LITA members. The committee is also beginning to analyze social media analytics for LITA's Twitter and Facebook accounts to better understand how members engage with LITA's social media presence.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
In hindsight, the Communications & Marketing Committee would benefit from having read-only access to LITA's Google Analytics data for lita.org and the blog. This would let us track how LITA's social media accounts drive traffic to LITA's main web presences.

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
Social media posting best practices and social media analytics courses and publications might be of interest to LITA members.

Submitted by Joel Tonyan on 10/09/2018

LITA / Ex Libris Student Writing Award Committee – September 2018 Report


The group met 0 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
Chair has received necessary documents and timeline from LITA Executive Director. Work will commence in coming months per the timeline.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Beginning the award cycle process.

Is there anything LITA could have provided during this time that would have helped your group with its work?
Nothing.

Please provide suggestions for future education topics, initiatives, publications, resources, or other activities that could be developed based on your group’s work.
N/A

Additional comments or concerns:
I do not believe I have received a document that says "here is what you will need to plan to do as a chair" – not specific to my committee but related to things like these quarterly reports (which I am happy to do but the need to do them was something I learned when I was asked for this first one). I will admit I may have missed something that was sent to me. If so, my apologies. But, also, send it again? 🙂

Submitted by Lisa Hinchliffe on 10/07/2018

Appointments Committee – September 2018 Report


The group met 4-6 times this quarter.

Recent Activities

First Activity
After I recruited some additional members for our own committee, we've divvied up the committees among ourselves, figured out how many members are required for this year and the next term, and are about to start going through the volunteer lists.
Meets LITA’s strategic goals for Organizational Stability and Sustainability

What will your group be working on for the next three months?
Initially filling any current gaps in committees.

Submitted by Emily Morton-Owens on 10/05/2018