The program planning committee recommends to the board of directors action to be taken on programs proposed by the interest groups and committees for ALA Annual Conferences. The committee coordinates and reviews program plans submitted by the committees and interest groups to ensure that sufficient planning has occurred and a realistic budget has been prepared. The committee works closely with the education committee and the emerging technologies interest group to identify program topics of interest to LITA membership and works with appropriate interest groups and committees in encouraging the planning of such programs. The committee may itself plan and execute institutes, programs and preconferences of interest to the division. Since preconferences and institutes generate revenue which is instrumental to the support of the LITA division activities in general, the program planning committee encourages a sufficient number of preconferences and institutes to contribute to the economic stability of the division. A member of the committee serves on the program committee of any preconference or institute.
One director from the LITA Board will serve as a liaison and a minimum of 3 members selected from the division at large, one of whom shall be appointed the committee chair.
The Program Planning Committee Chair also serves as the LITA Representative to the ALA Conference Program Coordinating Team (CPCT).
About this Committee
- Issue the call for LITA programs and preconferences at ALA Annual Conferences
- Select programs using rubric
- Liaison with presenters
- Shepherd programs during Annual Conference if onsite
Expected Time Commitment
- Holds 4-6 virtual meetings and no face-to-face meetings each year
- Group members work an average of 2 hours per month
- April, May, June, and October are the busiest months
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- People who are organized, excellent communicators, and are connected to current trends in libraries and technology
- Any similar experience with conference/program planning or service on an award or nominating committee